7.27.2008

Sunday Sampler

Today we heard about family preparedness. A start is to prepare a 72-hour kit and include supplies for each family member. A counselor told us he has 7 backpacks, one for each family member, hanging in his garage awaiting any pending disaster. We are starting our 72-hour kits tomorrow. Anyone interested in a 72-hour kit can look at these links:

Another part of being prepared is to get our finances in order and to try to stay debt-free. A goal we strive for and have since we were first married! Financial freedom seems so refreshing. Here are a few ideas and goals we look into:

  • daveramsey.com Get out of debt "at gazelle speed" and control your money habits.

  • lds.org A handy budget worksheet.

  • lds.org A debt-elimination calendar (sample) that we are using.

  • paidtwice.com Snow flaking it - paying debt down with extra funds acquired.

  • frugalliving.com Ideas to live within your means.

I know being prepared is important. I realize this everyday I don't prepare for the next. If things are not in order and ready as they can be, I drag all day long and suffer. So does the rest of the family. It is important to prepare our own way for help in a disaster. We should not think to depend on a neighbor (they need to meet their own needs) nor the government...ha! While we have a small supply in our house, I feel it necessary to follow further steps to keep it organized and readily available for the family. I mean, what if I run out of diapers for the baby... now that would be tragic! No - seriously. Basic needs. That is the ticket to start of with. Cover our basic needs first. Good luck and God speed if you plan to make this your goal as well.

No comments: