12.07.2008

Sunday Sampler 12-07-08

Singing hymns of praise. Nothing helps me feel closer to God quicker than a beautiful hymn of praise. No noisy background music, no drums, no flashing lights nor shouting. I love the sweet feeling that makes my heart swell when I am humbled by the words I sing with those around me. At times, I am caught deep into my soul and, uncontrollably, I begin to tear up. I believe as it is said in the preface of our church hymn books:

Some of the greatest sermons are preached by the singing of hymns. Hymns move us to repentance and good works, build testimony and faith, comfort the weary, console the mourning, and inspire us to endure to the end.

For me, the hymns have been especially helpful during times of grief or distress. I've turned to them for comfort when those I hold dear to me have passed away, when I am troubled with contention, when I feel lonely, and when I want to cheer up my children. I feel an overwhelming sense of the Lord putting his arms around me and telling me I can get through this.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello! Just testing my own comments...

Anonymous said...

Andrea...I feel the same way about singing hymns! I feel more peaceful when I hear sacred music. So, tomorrow I will be singing "O Holy Night" arranged by Sally DeFord in Sacrament meeting. It is such a beautiful piece of music! I sincerely hope that the spirit is conveyed through song to all who listen...and that they might want to be more at peace and desire to be more like Christ! This is my desire!!!