Whilst those who personally know me understand I am not really a true to the bone tree-hugger, I do feel responsible to help the environment and do so in certain ways. A new blog entry idea came to mind when I felt tired of letting everyone know my chore list...:-) Here is the new title (if you couldn't already tell) for Tuesdays: Tree-hugging Tuesday.
Today I give you the tip of recycling. I started recycling this year and find it quite fulfilling. I invested in some rubbermaid stacking containers (but really all you need is some cardboard boxes). I read up on what could be recycled at the local center. The information I found stated you should not overwhelm yourself with trying to recycle too many things at first. Start with 2 or 3 different items you want to recycle. Then add to it as you see fit. I go to the center about once every two weeks or so.
As of now, I recycle paper, glass, tin, aluminum, plastic jugs and bottles, plastic bags and cardboard. I had a frustrating moment one day after I pulled out of the recycling center, I got a flat in my AWD vehicle. I pulled over to put a donut on the car and a nice man from the natural gas company pulled over and helped me finish. I took the car to a tire shop and they showed me a giant razor blade that was stuck in my tire. I was disappointed. Since I had AWD and the tires on the car were discontinued, I had to buy four new tires for the car. It doesn't keep me from going to the center, I just look carefully where I am driving now.

Many of you from the "lower 48" probably are forced to recycle through some program or recieve incentives. We Alaskans are just starting a program for recycling. Our program doesn't give out incentives. Actually, if you choose to curbside recycle, you have to pay for the service. :-(




No comments:
Post a Comment