1.06.2009

Tree-hugging Tuesday 01-06-09

Something I struggle with at times:

Using canvas bags at the grocery store...

I use them whenever I can remember to grab them. Now, I put them close to where I keep my purse. That way, when I know I am going to to get groceries, I will have them right next to my purse to grab as I head into the store. I find myslef leaving them at home or in the car quite a bit. Kids in haul, I choose not to head out to the car to grab them...instead I then opt for plastic bags. The plastic bags are horrible for the environment no matter how convient they are. Another bonus to buying canvas: Kroger/Fred Meyer gives me 5 cents back every canvas bag that is put to use every time I grocery shop there!

Another complication: The produce. I am seeking to find a way not to use those flimsy bags they have to use in the produce section. I have thought of reusing the mesh bags I get with my fruit mix sometimes..but I think it would be too cumbersome for everyone involved. I think I will just set up a bag or two for the produce and put them in the canvas bags then go through the checkout and take the produce out..although somebody handling the naked produce bothers me as does the naked produce touching the belt and scanning scale. Hmmm.. any ideas out there?

3 comments:

Me (aka Danielle) said...

Forgetting them is my biggest problem! Although when I do remember them..I sure am proud of myself!

The Alaska DeKays said...

Kudos to your efforts to be green!

Andrea said...

Paper bags for produce? I don't know. let me know when you figure it out. Maybe they could let you weigh it yourself in the produce section and write it on a card.