1.14.2009

Tree-hugging Tuesday 01-13-09

I am so excited to own a house...I keep a list of ideas I can use at my own home but not so in a townhouse or apartment...

A rain barrel during non-freezing months.

I like the aesthetics of this one:



at Aaron's Rain Barrels & More

(but I am not willing to pay $300 for one)


Some information on why to use a rain barrel (taken from healthy landscapes):

Why Use Rain Barrels?

Rain barrels conserve water and help lower costs (a rain barrel can save approximately 1,300 gallons of water during peak summer months).
Rain barrels reduce water pollution by reducing storm water runoff, which can contain pollutants like sediment, oil, grease, bacteria and nutrients.
Rain barrels are inexpensive and easy to build and install.
A rain barrel can be used to save water for plants during dry periods. Rain barrels can also be arranged to slowly release the collected rain fall to areas that can soak up the water, reducing storm water runoff and increasing groundwater recharge.



Another outdoor item of interest for me is a compost bin.

I find all sorts of bins and how to make them. I am still not sure which is the one for me with most of the year here being frozen. I have a list of how to's on hand when I am ready! I got it at StopWaste.org.

I also have a listing of troubleshoots just in case the bin starts to smell a bit too funky. It is at heartgardenfriends.

One last idea from/for me is organic weed and pest control. I found all sorts of ideas to use instead (or before as I am still pretty much no where near a green thumb) of pesticides and chemicals.

This site called The-Organic-Gardener lists many ideas including how to recognize a weed. Again, still not a green thumb.

Here is a beautiful thought for those of us still living in a winter wonderland...

*Sigh*
Beautiful Garden taken from photobucket.

No comments: