3.28.2009

Spirited

If I were to write an autobiography, it would be titled Spirited. Spirited can be so many things to me... it means stubborn, lively and seeking Christ's example. All of these definitions describe me quite well. I consider myself a strong woman (actually it's whoaman...) with conviction in certain things (notice I did not say all - I am not meaning prideful here folks). Both my parents instilled within me these qualities of character.

Keeping my grip on the sides of a bath tub at a neighbors house as a child - I refused to get out because, well, I enjoyed water and I didn't want to leave it. My mother had to come over and yank me from my homemade pool of excitement. Travelling through Europe as a teenager, I found myself dealt with inappropriately by a chaperone after several coincidental events occurred I did not purposefully cause.. when I came home, my stubborn will went above and beyond to make sure that man was unable to do the same thing to other teens on any more trips. He was banned from participating any further. Now I am a mother and find my stubborn will helps guide my children in the direction I want them. Hopefully, as they grow, they will follow their own stubborn will which prompts them in righteous decisions. In Finnish, this is called Sisu or what could be roughly translated into English as strength of will, determination, perseverance, and acting rationally in the face of adversity.

Playing and being silly brings me a sense of joy and contentment. I would play pranks on my family as a child and enjoyed a good giggle. Usually, my mother was the recipient of a fun scare. I would love to sit and wait for her to walk by in an unusual place and pounce on her like a cat on a yarn ball. She would scream and I would giggle in delight. Later on in years, friends of mine would pull pranks on others. One friend in particular would love to toilet paper peoples cars. She was a source of so many funny memories. I say was because she left this world when we were still teenagers. Apparently her heartache in adversity of life was too much for her and she decided to end it. I was sad and burdened with the grief of losing someone I loved.

Seeking some form of consoling, I looked for answers to where we might go after death and why we are here. I received my answers through God's will and love for me. I am grateful to know this life has a divine purpose. We are not here merely to exist. We are here to love and be loved, to heal, to endure. We are here to prove that we can follow the example of Christ and be obedient. I am here to continue toward perfection. I am a daughter of God, a daughter of earthly parents, a mother, a sister, an aunt, a wife. I enjoy learning more about His gospel and singing His praises. I am a spirit of God. We are all spirits of God. I hold these feelings sacred, yet I share them because it is my duty.

I am Sisu, I am play and laugh, I am a follower of Christ. I am a whoaman. I am spirited.


2 comments:

Sarah said...

Whoah, man, whoaman... that was deep. And yeah, I'd definitely say you're sisu, just like someone else I know. ;)

Andrea said...

Wow! That was really great. You are stubborn. :)