3.13.2008

Do you reduce, reuse, recycle?

I am increasingly aware of the impact I make in this world when I do/don't conserve. I recently read an article which stated if you want to help with conserving energy: Don't eat meat, ride a bicycle and be a frugal shopper.

Apparently packaging and transporting that big slab of meat from one place to another wastes quite a bit of energy. Sometimes I look at a slab of meat and am unamused. My taste buds do not call out, "yipee!" I am not hungry for meat usually. I just feel like I need to eat it. I think it is a habit. Many times I stare at my plate and imagine the meat as the animal it came from. This is VERY unappetizing indeed.

Riding a bike sounds great to me. How do I do it with three little ones, though? Especially while Jesse is at school and we live in a not-so-nice area of town...I will try harder. I will see if I can figure something out. This one may not happen so soon - esp. while living in this cold place which does not allow for bike riding many months out of the year.

Frugal shopping - well I would like to think I am already living under that label. I mean c'mon - we lived in a 1 and 1/2 bedroom house with no dishwasher nor tub while raising little ones for four and 1/2 years and I think that at least labels me frugal for the next 20 years of my life! What do you think? What are you doing in your life to preserve energy and reduce, reuse, recycle?

3 comments:

Jennifer Bundy said...

I too would love to ride bikes more. Finding a bike rack for the car is the first step, so we can actually go somewhere and ride them! Keith can ride on his own, and we have a trail-a-bike that Rachel can ride, now, for the baby... Probably not too safe with him in a backpack, huh?

Music Mama said...

Brent rode his bike from ER to the base most days during the summer. Does his effort count for me? I recycle because they pick it up at our curb now :) And I walk to pick Olivia up from school a lot even though it is two miles down hill (which means, unfortunately, that it is two miles up hill on the way home with Jett in the stroller....better buns, right?) Hope you are all well. I followed a link from Taryn's blog and wanted to check on you :) Lots of love, Andrea

Anonymous said...

I am really really picky about recycling and reusing, and am getting more fanatical about it everyday. Lately, everytime I throw something out, I start thinking, "What if every person in the American threw out a used up pen? How many pens would that be?" AHHHH!!! If I let myself translate that to diapers, plastic bags, food containers, ect; I start to go a little mad. So I just focus on how many times I can reuse that plastic baggie and pat myself on the back for using cloth diapers... :)

But now we drive a huge economy van, so, oh well.

You should look up Nourishing Traditions (book) or the Weston A Price website for healthy eating.

xoxo