8.30.2008

Faith Building Friday

A little tidbit I recently read from the Ensign and felt the need to acknowledge it on my blog.

A song that Primary children sing teaches the nature of faith:

Faith is knowing the sun will rise, lighting each new day.
Faith is knowing the Lord will hear my prayers each time I pray.
Faith is like a little seed: If planted it will grow.
Faith is a swelling within my heart. When I do right, I know. 12


President Hinckley observed, “When I discuss faith, I do not mean it in an abstract sense. I mean it as a living, vital force with recognition of God as our Father and Jesus Christ as our Savior. When we accept this basic premise, there will come an acceptance of their teachings and an obedience which will bring peace and joy in this life and exaltation in the life to come.” 13


Faith, belief, and hope are often used interchangeably, and it may be difficult to distinguish between these words. There is a difference, however. Although we cannot have faith without belief and hope, we can believe without having faith. Elder James E. Talmage (1862–1933) of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles explained, “Belief, in one of its accepted senses, may consist in a merely intellectual assent, while faith implies such confidence and conviction as will impel to action.” 14 The Savior taught, “Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.” 15 The Apostle James said it another way: “Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.” 16 So-called faith without works is not faith at all!


I will continue to try to put my faith into action and do the will of my Father. I am grateful for His teachings and great love for me and I know that He is. I hope someday that I might face our Father in Heaven and feel His peace. For now, I find it burning in my heart in moments. Precious moments indeed.

2 comments:

Elisa said...

We have added you to Mormon Mommy Blogs. Please add a link to us. Thanks.

The Roaming Rolfe's said...

You are such a great person & mom! I really miss you! I love you thoughts added to President Hinkleys.